Thursday, March 30, 2006

SLES 9 IO problem

There are some aphids in the garden right now.

I have an interesting problem with SLES9. I know it isn't my favorite linux distribution either, but it is pretty good for business that like support and it is a great java platform.

The interesting problem is with I/O. On a default install on various platforms, if you run a high I/O job the system becomes unresponsive. I believe it is a problem with the kernel version, because none of the other Linux distributions I've tried have it.

SLES9 is stuck in a heavily patched 2.6.5 kernel, and if you look through the kernel changelog, you'll see plenty of virtual memory and I/O improvements.

Today, I think I'll try a vanilla 2.6.12 or later kernel- because if my suspicions are right, somewhere between 2.6.5 and 2.6.12 the bug is fixed.

No comments: