Friday, May 12, 2006

Cisco 3005 VPN concentrator resurrection

I found an unused 3005 going through one site's material. Since the current VPN terminates on PCs, I thought I'd get the 3005 going.

While I had the 3005 on the shelf in the lab, I found a problem. The 3005 has a public and private interface. The private interface would intermittently drop physical connection. I inspected the network jack, it looked good, no bent pins. But everytime I'd wiggle the network cable (or even move the middle of the cable), the connection would drop.

So I tore the out of warranty and service 3005 apart (don't do this, it will void your warranty). I checked the posts and solder on the network jack. It looked good, so I put the 3005 back together. While I had it apart I noticed two little silver tabs on the sides inside of the jack where the pins are. I used a very fine screwdriver and bent these two tabs out on both jacks hoping it would tighten the grip on the network cable.

Sure enough it works. I'll try to get a macro picture up soon.

No comments: