Friday, July 25, 2008

The role of flash in storage

EMC has some SSD/Flash for a segment of their storage systems. The MacBook Air famously has an SSD option. Solid State Disk and Flash are everywhere. So why can't I buy a shelf of it for my server room?

Well, SSD isn't quite ready to go in everything yet. As this blog points out: 1) it is in devices as cache/flash/nvram 2) if the storage isn't engineered properly, there are performance walls to run into 3) availability of dependable SSD is a problem (maybe not for iPods, hahah).

There is one thing I want to try out in the Garden:

http://www.fusionio.com/

Works in linux- Check, ridiculous performance profile for certain activities- Check. I just imagine these with linux RAID, LVM and a database that has a random read profile. I thought about making one as an appliance to shop around. Financing?

No comments: